Alpine Loop Group Ride Report

Hi All,

I think we had a great group ride this morning, actually I have no idea how the group ride went. I spent most of the day in a daze, in pain and alone. It was a perfect training day for the upcoming Monster Climb trip where I again expect to be in a daze, in pain and alone for most of the ride.

Guido met me in PQ and marshaled me over to Casa Voris where we picked up Dave and met up with John M. We are rolled down to the start at the 7-11. Hodges was supposed to be out ahead of us with Eric G, but I think they bailed on the ride.

We had a 14 guys at the start. Besides the 4 of us mentioned above, the group included Tony, Rick W, Bernie, Larry, Sheehan, Boyle, Oleg, Ernst, Steve K and Cresap. Some guys missed out on the group photo. Jeff was still recovering from his broken toe and rode with us only to Lakeside.

The pace was nice and controlled up SPP and descent down 67. We stayed together until the Lake Jennings climb when Boyle and Sheehan fell back a bit. I tired and disappeared off the back along Old Hwy 80. At the top of Harbison Canyon I waited for about 10 minutes for Boyle and Sheehan but they never came. I was in "No Man’s Land" for the rest of the ride.

I went down Harbison and up Dehesa. I was not planning to make the turn to Lyons as my legs we not up for it. I rode on Tavern and stopped at the CVS thinking Sheehan might have been there or maybe John M. No one was there so I kept up my slow pace back toward the 67 Climb. It was painful as always. I thought I might get caught but I guess the other guys were still way back.

At SPP there were about a dozen riders that had come from the other direction on 67 that made the turn ahead of me. I decided to catch them and ultimately decided to blow by them as I rode toward Pomerado Road. I rode up Black Mountain and got home with about 73 miles and 5,800 feet of climbing. I need to rest and get back out there to get ready for the MC trip in less than three weeks.

Oleg will have to share his photos and details of the group ride, he was with them for most of the day.


This entry was posted in Local Ride Reports. Bookmark the permalink.